The Sam Houston National Forest, located in Texas, offers several popular hiking trails, including:
- Lone Star Hiking Trail: This 128-mile trail offers a challenging hike through the forest and is considered one of the best backpacking trails in Texas.
- Lake Conroe Trail: This 8.4-mile trail circles Lake Conroe and offers views of the lake and surrounding landscape.
- Cagle Recreation Area Trail: This 2.5-mile trail takes hikers through a diverse landscape of hardwood forests, pine forests, and wetlands.
- Double Lake Recreation Area Trail: This 2-mile trail offers a scenic hike through the forest and is a popular destination for birdwatching.
- Garrisons Creek Trail: This 3.5-mile trail winds through the forest and offers a peaceful escape from the city.
- Turkey Creek Trail: This 4.7-mile trail offers a scenic hike through the forest, with several creek crossings and opportunities to see wildlife.
These trails offer a range of difficulty levels and offer opportunities to explore the diverse landscape and beauty of the Sam Houston National Forest.